What's new
What's new

New would-be lathe owner seeks advice- Ancient South Bend Vs. Merely Old Logan

JetMech

Plastic

Dear Practical Machinists-

Yet another of these posts. “How much is this lathe worth. . .Tell me what to do. . . Make my decision for me. . .” Heh heh yeah right.

Anyway I do have a desire to buy a lathe, and I wanted to get the input of the knowledgeable folks populating the premier site on machining. If flattery won’t buy your help, well- let's hope flattery works. All my web research indicates that this is where serious metal turners hang.

I’m a veteran of other forums by now so one thing I think those that would give advice will really appreciate is a help-seeker that has given some detail and done at least some homework. I may go overboard on the detail, and we'll see if my research passes muster, but first the background:

I’m in Olathe, KS 66061. I'm an A&P mechanic by trade but want a lathe and eventually a mill to fill out my fabrication capabilities. Looking into welders as well, but that’s whole different forum. I am quite mechanically inclined but I just want a hobby lathe to play with, and have never had formal training. I used to use the $500 Chinese lathe at work quite a bit, but left that job and I’m not allowed to use the $30,000 lathe they just bought at my new work. (Dammit.) People keep asking me what I’m going to make, and really, I don’t know. But I see a need for a lathe at least weekly. For example, I drilled out a pulley to make it bigger, didn’t think the keyway would matter. Anyone care to guess what happened? (I learn new things everyday. . .) Now I need a lathe. . . Sure, the new pulley would be $30 instead of new-lathe-price but I shouldn’t have to explain to you guys why I’d like to fix it myself, along with everything else.

I’ve actually been shopping for a while. I started out looking at Chinese lathes, I don’t hate objects simply for being Chinese. I figured the quality would suffice for what I do, turning plastic and soft stuff mostly to “about the right size.” (something that would hold to within a few thousandths would do me, I realize most expect more.) Looked at them all, experienced lathe envy and feature creep until it led me to the Little Machine Shop 8x20 DC drive dealy. (I understand machines that cheap and Chinese are taboo here- forgive me) You basically can’t spend more on a Chinese 8x20, but it has nice features. And lacks others.

Almost pulled the trigger, held back. Previously, I determined to buy a new hybrid tablesaw. Same as here, skulked around forums for advice, same as here, most of my questions had already been answered. (I can use search!) The story was, the wiser-sounding ones advocated skipping the new 120v saw and going for “old ‘arn” and consequently I have a Unisaw that is wonderful and cost 1/3 what I’d have spent on an inferior new hybrid (probably Chinese!) model. It was the right choice, and I thought I’d let that success inform my next purchase.

So I started looking at craigslist, and I found several lathes for sale. I saw a few Chinese mini lathes that basically people want better than 80% of new price for, forget it, I’d get a new one with warranty. Plus, see above.

But there were two others, and now a third to consider. Basically I'm just looking for whatever comments you folks have to offer.

One is a 1928ish South Bend 9 Junior, here is the text of the ad:

“Awesome Lathe. See photo's for Information. Appraiser said it's worth $2000 so $1995 or best offer. We have all the original pieces/tools that go with it. This used to be my Dad's and he kept it in EXCELLENT condition.”

Here is the CL link: Ancient South Bend

I went to see this lathe and seriously, I think Methusela might have turned the first screw on this thing. It has a terrifying overhead drive assembly and is frightfully old, if I didn’t mention that. It had lots of neat-but-ancient tooling and seemed in good shape. Didn't see any alarming marks on the ways. However, I saw too many reports of lathes like this going for $500 or $600 with tools. (admittedly much of what I find posted is over 10 years ago, that might be a factor.) They came way down on price, to $1k, but we didn’t make a deal. I’d have bought it at ¾ of that. There is no QCGB and no power crossfeed. I’d like those features.

The second lathe I went to see was this one:

“This is a 1953 Logan model 936--2 Metal Lathe 11" by 36".It has all its original factory Accessories that came with the lathe when it was new including a turret attachment which was rare. It's also equipped with a drill chuck life center Multiposition tool post with Tooling threading die and a full set of collects. I have completely rebuilt the gearbox the apron and carriage. The compound slide and cross slide have both been hand scraped. It's a Flatbill lathe it's been equipped with a new serpentine belt. This thing is ready to take home and make parts.”

And here is the CL link: Logan with Turret

This one was nice, if well used. The very knowledgeable guy had made repair parts for it that were better than new, a few gears for the QCGB and a few shafts, he showed me the old ones and new ones installed. He had hand scraped the surfaces on the crossfeed parts, it looked and felt great. Dude had a giant 8k lb. shaper in his “extra” tool room, where this for-sale lathe sat. He had more stuff in his "overflow" machine shop area than I will ever own. I feel the thing is old but serviceable, and I feel good about this guy’s level of expertise. He said he just has too much other stuff to continue the restoration of this lathe. As far as I can tell it just needs paint.

And tools, unfortunately. It has a Landis-or-similar small die head that appears to be missing its handle and maybe other parts (the rectangular thing off the side that I see in other die head pics) with 16 tpi teeth and holders marked 3/16 to 3/8. That is mounted in the 6 sided turret attachment, which I doubt I’d use much. Neat though. Otherwise has 3 jaw chuck, 6 inch I'd guess, draw bar and holder for collets and a box of 24 collets. It has 2 of the square tool post, the nice one on the lathe and a crusty but otherwise identical one in the box. Steady and Follow rests, that he cleaned up and painted. Handfull of cutters, not much.

The man was really tolerant of my looking and questions, and again I feel the machine is sound, but what do I know. The bed/ways are beat up under the chuck but the tailstock slid smoothly from one end to the other. Makes me doubt it is hardened. It would probably be good enough for my hobby needs.

Issue is, the price of $1800 or so is too steep I think. I basically don’t want the die head and turret, but I’d hate to pay to just store them, and I’ll likely lose out trying to sell stuff like that. From what I understand the turrets are really a mated part to the machine. The prices on questionable die heads with only one holder/chaser option aren't that spectacular on eBay. The lack of a 4 jaw chuck really hurts my interest.

But ultimately, it’s nice and it’s there. I would ideally trade away that turret or die head for a 4 jaw. Not many other choices unless I just wait and hope something better comes along. Sort of afraid it will, actually, right after I buy this.

*This Just In!* While waiting for approval to post, this lathe turned up on CL:

"This machine is in great working condition, everything works as it should. Newer Dayton motor wired for 110 single phase. Clean and very Tight tolerances."

CL link: Logan 200 with no tools

It's a smaller and less well-featured Logan 200 model for $1250, apparently no tools go with it. I really include this just for market info. I believe it has a much smaller spindle bore and no QCGB. Boo.

On the SB, if I could have gotten it for a song, the first lathe would have kept me busy a long time. It came with many bits and bobs and measuring stuff. But change gears and lack of feeds tarnishes it, along with its. . . well, tarnish.

If I could get the Logan for a few hundred cheaper it would be one badass machine from my perspective, a great starter lathe, realistically probably all I'd ever need, but I looked at 4 jaw chucks around 6” and they are at least $200. As is basically everything else you want.

So the base lathe is the most attractive, I could use it right away, the guy restored the saddle and the QCGB, and the thing runs. It's right at my size limit for portability.

Honestly, I like it, I'd continue the restoration which at this point is mainly paint, and buy tools as I need them.

Basically, I wonder if I would be a fool to trust the condition and quality of this guy's rebuild, or to pay as much as $1800 for this thing with its turret, die head, rests, collets, 2 square toolposts, and a few cutters?

I have more pics but will wait to post them if people want a closer look than the CL ad affords. Thanks for your time.

-Brian

That's an easy one. Of the three, the first Logan is by far your better bet simply because it has a quickchange gearbox. The other two require change gears, and even if they had complete sets, it's a time-consuming process to mix-and-match to get different feeds and threads.

Don't sell it short- a QCGB is very handy, and well worth any small difference in purchase prices.

Doc.

Oh, and of the three, the first Logan is the only one that can take common, inexpensive 5C collets, of which it also has a set.

These, too, are very useful and a definite big improvement over the other two.

Doc.

The 11" Logan is indeed the best of the lot.

Prices in KC are apparently high, since you can't get much over $750 or so for a model 200 here, and that 11" wouldn't go over $1500. I have seen an 11" in NEW condition as far as wear, that went for $500 with lots of tooling (I got there 10 min after the thing was sold...).

Southbend is crazy high in price, but that seems to be a midwest thing generally, so I've gotten used to it. To me, that 2 grand is a price for a heavy 10, which that isn't close to. Can't complain, though, I sold a 405 for $800, with the buyer not complaining at all. Of course I had cleaned it up, made a new drive system, etc, but didn't scrape it or anything like that.

Hello, and welcome to the forum! I'm located in Olathe as well. I watch the craigslist ads a little. The prices do seem a little high. There is a dealer in Carlisle, Illinois that has several lathes for sale. A heavy ten ( I think it was 2800) , a beefy old CY monarch(1900 or so) , even a round dial Monarch EE for 2400.00. Of course there is just a little way down the craigslist ad you were looking at, an American Pacemaker D model for 3500 (now that will definitely make some chips!)

Two cents... I owned a Logan 11" with the quick change gearbox, of the options you have listed it is by far the best of the bunch. That said there is no real substitute for iron in metal working machinery, the more the better. Unless you plan to move it around a lot it really is worth being patient and watching for something like a later production heavy model 13" South bend or something similar to come along. Even though I hate to admit it, my Chinese 13" Jet just by merit of more iron cuts better than the Logan did.

As previously mentioned, the 1st Logan is your best bet of the three. Just forget the S.B. probably odd spindle thread,I think it's a single wall apron,hard to find parts for (if ya can't make'em) yada,yada,yada, you'll spend more time friggin' with it.
Look for something with quick change gearbox,(power longitudinal feed and power cross feed we used to call that an engine lathe),something manufactured after WW2, with 5C collet capability. A South Bend "heavy ten" or 13", a Clausing 5900 or 6900 series, a Logan. Most important is condition and tooling. 3 jaw, 4 jaw,chasing dial,toolpost,live and dead centers...a center rest and follow rest are nice, too, but not necessary unless turning long parts.Dog plate and face plate are nice, also. I don't know the market in K.C. so you may have to travel if you're in a machine tool desert. Just don't rush in. Good luck in your search. PB

The first lathe is a mid 1920's SB 9 Jr. I own it's twin, and use it frequently. I would buy the logan with the turret. The price may be a little high even for your area of the country, but that sting won't last long. Hurry up. He who hesitates is lost.

allan

+ another for the 11'' Logan Turret, used one for a short while - good machine for what it is.

My first lathe was a 9'' Logan, and well hammered when it came to me, ....I gave it a lot more hammer and it still made good parts.

You can still get some Logan parts from the Man' look up ''Logan Actuator Co''

Tip, If you haven't already - get yourself a copy of South Bends ''How To Run A Lathe'' that period of technology is what you need. :)

Another + for the Logan. It probably does not take 5C collets as previously mentioned though. My first lathe was a similar machine and with an adapter it took 3C / 3AT collets.

Ivan

Thanks for all the replies!

HI folk, and wow! What a response. I appreciate all the input.

Unfortunately, I'm sorry to say, I'll now have to delete all my posts, cancel my registration, and slink quietly away. . .

Because last night I bought a Chinese lathe. Gasp!

But let's talk about your responses first, before you guys carry me to the stake and start collecting firewood.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's response and they are helpful, very much so.

The first thing I'll say is that I was already clear that the 11" Logan was the best bet. My only issue with it is that's apparently a lot of money for a lathe with minimal tooling and lots of evident wear.

What I'm hearing from you guys is-

-Yes, that 11" really is better.

-The advantages of the 11" probably outweigh condition issues.

-Forget that ancient SB, I agree. So does everyone else, as it is still listed.

-I agree I should not rush in- see below for my solution.

-I hear the guy that says wait for bigger lathe, but weight-wise that 11" is about at my limit. (Me and my wife have to be able to move it, ideally) More on this later- you're right that heavy goes cheap- see below.

-I agree that to hesitate is to lose- except one thing: That dude listing the 11" has had it listed for almost 3 months. He's had only 2 other lookers in that time. It could disappear any second, but I doubt it. That said, the guy made some parts and has a lot of work in it before he gave up, so he ain't gonna let it go for peanuts. He's personally invested, which is good because the lathe has been gone through, and bad because he's got an emotional or financial stake that pushes the price up. He's got the room and the patience to wait it out.

-Hardinge is definitely in my search, I look at all lathe postings on several CLs. Good advice, they make nice stuff. Would love to have one of their "2nd process" type lathes with no tailstock. Suits the work I do.

-It is cool that Logan is still supported, and people can talk to Scott Logan. I'm sort of hoping someone has a pdf copy of that South Bend book- literally everyone recommends it.

So again, all your comments really reinforce what I was thinking.

Here is how I plan to approach that deal:

No 4 jaw is an issue. Cutters and tools are less of an issue now, as I got some with the weenie lathe I just bought.

I plan to go to the seller, show him this thread and others like it, and propose that if he really wants $1800 for it, he can come up with a workable 4 jaw and a few tool bits and I'll pay that price. IF he won't, He'll have to drop $2-300 to make up for it. He will likely decline, but you never know. Dude like that with all those machines, I bet he has resources.

However, I'll propose the deal, and wait and see if he calls. No loss to me if he doesn't, I see new lathes hit the market almost daily.

It will be much easier to wait him out now since I have a "practice lathe" to start with.

Here's what happened:

Another Logan 200 was listed yesterday evening, I emailed, got a call back fast. Good sign. Went there, looked at the 200 but the half nuts were stripped and removed. The change gears were gone, and it looked beat. No QCGB or tools really, though it did have a huge 4 jaw. I told the man $1250 for that was 4x the value of the lathe as it sat. It was really a junker.

But he had two other lathes. One was the Harbor Freight 8x12(14) lathe. It was on a bench, had 96% of the tooling I'd want, including an A2Z CNC QCTP with many holders and insert holders and some inserts, some Sandvik. The original slide with turret tool holder. Two chucks, one 4 jaw. Morse taper adapters for more chucks. A tailstock chuck. Some boring stuff. And the milling attachment. Score!

Well, I offered 5 bills, he said 5.5, and I was like, ok, as long as I can also have that box of aluminum rounds, brass rounds, some aluminum plate, and a 24" piece of 1.5 diameter Delrin. Sure, the man says.

The "new" value is over $1500 on all that. I'm ok at 33% on the dollar for used but serviceable.

Plus, even if that isn't a smoking deal, I'll learn on this lathe, then when ready to trade up, I can get most of what I paid back out of it while keeping the choicest tools. Or just the knowledge I gained.

But wait, there's more. . .

he showed me this huge 17" LeBlond Regal. Really pressured me to buy it, named a stupid low price. But I insisted I couldn't move it. Also, I'll be honest- it was beat looking. Really. But he told me (a low number). It has chucks and motor and a few tools, all of unknown condition but he did say the lathe runs, FWIW.

He proposed that if I brought him a buyer I could have any money over his asking price- He just wanted it gone, 9 day time limit, cash only.

So here's the thing, and again, I ask you awesome dudes for your advice- Is a worn old LeBlond Regal 17" worth anywhere close to perhaps 2 grand? $1500?

Because If I can make that deal, my chinese lathe was free!

What's the advice on fire-saling a crusty old Leblond? (It will be listed on KC CL shortly.)

The South Bend ''Workshop'' is the cheapest thing that they ever made--I have a 1934 brochure that lists it for $99.95.Everything about a Workshop is marginal---for instance, it has no replaceable bearings for the spindle --it runs right in the cast iron headstock casting. I would take a Logan over ANY small South Bend, other than the heavy 10---from there up in size, they are fine lathes.

Herb

JetMech,

Now that you have a Chinese lathe, The Hobby-Machinist forum will welcome you...

Yea, but I think we should give the guy a break. You got to start somewhere. He IS an A&P and he did come here asking reasonably intelligent questions... How about we still talk to him like he has old American iron, and get him understanding how he REALLY needs a model B or bigger Pacemaker. I don't think it will take TOO much to infect him with old iron disease! Besides, he can still ask questions and even post pictures of parts and setups with his..err..lathe.. as long as he doesn't mention the brand of lathe or show too much more than the chuck and tailstock in his future pictures of machining !

The South Bend ''Workshop'' is the cheapest thing that they ever made--I have a 1934 brochure that lists it for $99.95.Everything about a Workshop is marginal---for instance, it has no replaceable bearings for the spindle --it runs right in the cast iron headstock casting. I would take a Logan over ANY small South Bend, other than the heavy 10---from there up in size, they are fine lathes.

Herb

Heh heh, yes- I've enjoyed looking over some of those vintage ads for these machines. Wow. Too bad I'd only be making 10 cents an hour in those days. . .

I also appreciate the advice about the point at which SB lathes become practical.

JetMech,

Now that you have a Chinese lathe, The Hobby-Machinist forum will welcome you...

Indeed. I'm not going to pollute your serious-machinist forum with my feeble metric turnings. I didn't actually intend to buy that "lathe" but it does serve a purpose- It is a psychological advantage to be able to walk away from that just-too-pricey dream machine, going home to turn a tiny piece of brass, into a ring perhaps. . . while I fantasize about the day I can finally gain the precious. . .

Yea, but I think we should give the guy a break. You got to start somewhere. He IS an A&P and he did come here asking reasonably intelligent questions... How about we still talk to him like he has old American iron, and get him understanding how he REALLY needs a model B or bigger Pacemaker. I don't think it will take TOO much to infect him with old iron disease! Besides, he can still ask questions and even post pictures of parts and setups with his..err..lathe.. as long as he doesn't mention the brand of lathe or show too much more than the chuck and tailstock in his future pictures of machining !

This is really funny. Maybe you're right, and I should take that 17" LeBlond home for the song it's offered for.

But I gotta defend myself here! Number one, I got the 'arn disease. I was infected at a similar but lowlier (for these poor mortals merely turn wood.) forum where the fine gents corrupted me with the idea! The forbidden knowledge! The bite of a big grey, cast iron apple. . .

And again, this guy is literally my holdover lathe. I'll be prying that 11" Logan out of that guy's grasp if nothing better comes along in a reasonable time.

Finally, if you think my pics are well it enough and unblurred to the point where you can identify anthing in them, you got another thing coming.

C'mon, the red bomber there is for me to make my noob mistakes on, like the chuck crashes and belt slippages and gear tooth strippings that may well occur.

Remember guys, I'm an A&P so I'm the kinda guy that thinks that a little more torque will fix anything, right?

Any folks, thanks for the comments. This is truly entertaining. I'll not fill your site with my mediocre comedy, but I will let you all know how it turns out with the Big Ass (Le)Blond I'm trying to traffic.

And of course, when I join the ranks of "real" lathe owners. . .

Back